About Me

My photo
Author, film researcher and member of the Swedish Military History Commission.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Banned in Ukraine

I recently recommended some new Russian WWII movies. One of them I have not seen yet though: "We Are From the Future 2/Paradox Soldiers". Now it turns out that number two differs a lot from one.

I found out today it was even banned in Ukraine for its negative portrayal of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA). Today, with the new, more Russia-oriented administration in Kiev, I suppose it would not be banned. But the ban happened earlier this year, when there was an administration that regarded the UPA differently from today´s.

The official website of the film is very good, but only in Russian.

The Russian Wikipedia-page about the film is also extensive. If you read Russian you can right now read some reviews from the general public here.

The poster slogan of the film is: "The past is closer than you think". Once I get hold of it I plan to review it rather extensively.

UPDATE: I have seen it now and can not recommend it unless you really, really liked "We Are From the Future" and yearn to see some more of the rather good cast. This sequel, in the west marketed as "Paradox Soldiers", has some good scenes, a couple are really good, but... in brief, not a must-see.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen it and I enjoyed it. That being said, I can easily understand why it might have been banned in Ukraine due to its portrayal of the UPA. Then again, considering how revered that organization (and the OUN) is today in Ukraine, I also appreciate what the movie attempted to depict.

    ReplyDelete