About Me

My photo
Author, film researcher and member of the Swedish Military History Commission.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Camouflage Experts

Without looking below the image, can you guess which year the following drawing was published, and the nationality of the two soldiers?


Had I not known better I would have said Germans on the Eastern front in 1941.

Well, are you ready for the correct answer? This drawing (based on a photo?) was published in the Swedish weekly Vecko-Journalen on July 30, 1916. The caption is just "PROTECTIVE DISGUISE" (my translation). No kind of source. My guess is that they are Germans or possibly Austrians - judging by the boots and the large hand grenade pouch. Does anyone know more or can guess more?

1 comment:

  1. nice one...right now, no neithe Germans nor Austrians. The soldier at the front is bearing a standard French infrantryman WW1 canteen, thus possibily a Berthier carabine judging from the barrel lenght on the right hand. I therefore assume with a certain degree of certainty we r talking about French soldiers on the Western front sometime between 1914 and 1918. Personally I am more inclined to think towards the end of the war though. at Verdun? at La Somme? who knows. Very much interesting drawing anyhow!

    ReplyDelete